access: technology is an independent assistive technology consultancy service, based in Ripon, North Yorkshire. We support children and adults with disabilities to become more independent through individual assessment, provision of technology, intervention and training.
We are recruiting for a qualified Speech and Language Therapist, Occupational Therapist or Teacher to join our excellent Assistive Technology Consultant team.
Other relevant professions and backgrounds will be considered, please contact us.
Benefits / Rewards
- £30,000 per annum salary
- £24,000 pa for first 6 months probationary period
- Generous bonus scheme
- Full autonomy over calendar, including agile working
- 45p per mile fuel allowance for all client facing work (uncapped)
- Statutory 28 days holiday, increases a day for each year of service
- A day off on your birthday!
- Salary review every 12 months
- Exciting CPD opportunities from third party providers
- Staff social events
- Season pass for Newby Hall and Gardens for you and guests
- You can bring your dog to the office
We work with clients in both their home and school environments to provide technology solutions, advice and guidance that will support and enable communication, entertainment, learning and independence.
The majority of the clients we work with have a disability as a result of clinical negligence or an injury sustained as a result of an accident. This means that in most cases, we are appointed alongside a team of professionals from other disciplines under the instruction of a solicitor.
At access: technology we feel it is of utmost importance to ensure that we work alongside and build good working relationships with members of our client’s multidisciplinary team. In addition to parents and carers, this may include case managers, solicitors, teachers, learning support staff, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, neuropsychologists and education consultants.
Autonomy is a key factor in our candidate selection. You will be able to make decisions in the best interests of your clients and take action, drawing upon the support of our experienced team and from our amazing MDT partners and suppliers.
Our Mission Statement: To inspire people to embrace and drive what can be made possible through the use of technology.
Our Values: Client centred. Quality first.
We aim to provide a high quality assistive technology service that maintains an outstanding reputation for being:
- Up to date with the latest advances in AT practice and developments
We want philanthropy to be a driving force behind the work we do at access: technology. With this in mind we seek to:
- Develop resources and guidance to share publicly, free of charge
- Attend and speak at conferences and training events
- Share success stories through case studies
- Research and undertake projects with philanthropic aims e.g. benefiting disabled people who have not been awarded financial settlements
Duties & Responsibilities
As an Assistive Technology Consultant at access: technology you will be required to:
- Manage a caseload of clients. Initially 20 clients during probation period rising to ~40 clients at full capacity
- Work 35 hours per week; managing own diary and appointments
- Have access to own vehicle and travel extensively to meet the requirements of our clients
- Work as part of several Multi-Disciplinary Teams, attending school reviews and MDT meetings as required
- Engage with a programme of continuous professional development in order to keep up to date with assistive technology developments, sharing best practices with colleagues
- Take part in developing and delivering training to clients and their support team on specific equipment, software, assistive technology and disability awareness
- Contribute to the development of policy, procedures and evaluation mechanisms to inform the quality enhancement of service delivery
- Assist in promoting the work of the company, including developing and maintaining relationships with members of the public, potential stakeholders and supporting services by attending local networking events, writing regular blog posts, and undertaking philanthropic projects
- Respond to queries and provide troubleshooting advice and technical support as required by your caseload via email and telephone Mon-Fri 9am-5pm
- Attend appointments at client’s home or school
- Source and set up equipment
- Log all hours worked and update intervention notes on online logging system
- Keep shared calendar up to date
- Liaise closely with other staff members at access: technology, attending regular face to face & remote video meetings
- Produce formal written reports
- Complete any other reasonable duties that may be allocated from time to time commensurate with the grading of the post
In order to ensure that you are equipped to carry out your role to the highest standard, with autonomy over your work, we will provide you with a full assessment kit, including:
- High-end Windows 2 in 1 Laptop (touchscreen, i5, SSD)
- Apple iPad + case
- Apple Pencil
- Android Phone + case + car mount & charger
- Printer + ink + paper @ your home (wireless all in one)
- Assessment software and hardware (eyegaze camera, Grid 3, Clicker 8, Splash, joystick, adaptive keyboards etc)
- Google Workspace account – email, docs, storage, calendar
- Stationery and tools – pens, tool kit, cable ties, velcro, storage bag
- Business cards + ID Badge
- Credit cards for making client purchases and equipment for business purposes, up to £200 without authorisation
- Debit card for making client equipment orders where funds have been made available, up to £10,000
|Access to own vehicle||✔|
|Full, clean driving license||✔|
|Excellent written and verbal communication skills||✔|
|Able to meet criteria to obtain enhanced DBS||✔|
|Degree level qualification in education, IT or health related subject||✔|
|Excellent IT skills and technical aptitude||✔|
|Experience of working with children||✔|
|Experience of working with children with learning difficulties and disabilities||✔|
|Excellent organisational skills||✔|
|Experience of report writing||✔|
|Experience of working with people with brain injuries||✔|
|Experience of working with people with cerebral palsy||✔|
|Experience of working with people with communication difficulties||✔|
|Experience of setting up IT equipment, installing software, troubleshooting||✔|
|Experience of working with families||✔|
|Experience of working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, preferably alongside health professionals||✔|
|Experience of managing own diary/time||✔|
|Experience or understanding of how medico-legal cases operate||✔|
To apply, please email a CV and covering letter demonstrating how you meet our criteria to email@example.com. Please feel free to get in contact for more information.
There is no deadline for this role; this vacancy will close once we find a suitable candidate.